So you want to start a game of Supremacy 1914 - a good decision ! There are normally lots of different games available to join that have various starting conditions. If you read the game manual before you join a game ( essential ) you will see that the following are the different start conditons that can be applied to any game:
- It is not possible to declare war during the peace period
- It is not possible to enter other player's provinces, unless right-of-way has been granted
- Armies will never start to fight
Peace Period AI
Non-Player Characters (NPC) can not be attacked until the set day.
- It is not possible to declare war on NPCs during the peace period
- NPC players will not declare war on humans or other NPCs during the peace period
- It is not possible to enter NPC provinces
- Armies will never start to fight with NPC armies
Some games have no start conditions, others have a combination of conditions, or all of them. So be careful when you choose a game to join. It is important that you fully understand this !
At the start of a game it is essential to get on friendly terms with one or more countries that share a border with you. Of course you need room to expand your empire so don't try to be friendly with all your neighbours.
If there is a 'Peace Period' for human controlled countries you can still enter into diplomacy and grant right of way or shared map. In fact such a peace period is ideal as you can form friendly relationships and move your forces in readiness to attack someone else.....
If there is a 'peace period' for computer controlled countries it is an ideal time to move your forces in readiness to attack.
If there is no 'peace periods' then all hell can be let loose within a few minutes of the game starting. So be careful ! But quickly getting on friendly terms with a neighbour or two is an essential ingredient for success.